Saturday, November 5, 2011

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

This year, planning two kids' costumes was so fun, especially our little girl. Right up until the week before Halloween, I was fully intending to make a lamb costume for Maleah. But as I was in Goodwill just days before the big night, I came across a cute little white hat that was the inspiration for this:

RAGGEDY ANN

Tell me she's not cute!

Now, as you know, I like to make as much of my kids' costumes as I can, so I made her blue dress and white apron out of t-shirts that were about 2 sizes too big for her. I just added elastic to the hems of the blue shirt to give it that puffed-sleeve look, glued on some blue ruffled trim around the neck, and then cut off the bottom half of another white t-shirt and added elastic to make the apron. I added some lacy trim to the bottom and over the shoulders for straps, then glued on some big red buttons.

The tights were a little harder. I searched everywhere I could for some red and white striped tights....no luck. So, I did what any desperate mother with a last minute costume to make would do in this situation....I made my own! I just wrapped thin pieces of red duct tape around white tights and called it good.

The hat was the easiest and most fun to make. I just cut hundreds of pieces of red yarn and glued them to the inside of the hat, made a big red bow out of some ribbon, and voila! The cutest little rag doll you ever saw!

She won "Cutest Costume" at our ward Halloween party. And on Halloween night, there were several strangers taking pictures of her to send to "so-and-so back home."

Jaimason's costume was almost too simple to make, but he had fun helping me put it together. He wanted to go as a MAD SCIENTIST, so we got an oversized white dress shirt for a lab coat, added some crazy glasses with the rims popped out and taped together, and some rubber gloves. We were working on making a crazy hair wig out of nylons and fur, but we couldn't find the right fur, so at the last minute, we had to just buy a wig. (I know, it's heinous!) You can't see it in the picture unfortunately, but for the finishing touches, we cut open a green glow stick and flicked it all over his shirt like his experiment exploded, and added an eerie green test tube filled with green goo to his front shirt pocket.

He looked great! People kept guessing he was Albert Einstein, and he got so tired of correcting people, he eventually just told them he was (after I explained who Einstein was!)

I LOVE HALLOWEEN! Such a fun time to dress up and pretend you're someone you're not!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I can't believe how big Jaimason is! He was just a sunbeam when we were in the ward together. I love the halloween costumes!

Unknown said...

Maleah's + that costume is the cutest thing I've ever seen. You are so talented! will you put my kids' costumes together next year?! Jaimason looks awesome too. Your kids are adorable.