Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentines Crafts

After putting up our 2 lone Valentine's decorations, we noted it was time for a bit more Valentine's cheer in the Trenholm household. So, one day Jaimason and I headed to good ol' Jo-Ann Crafts to pick up some materials to make a wreath and topiary. I stumbled upon this Heart Felt Wreath on the internet and thought it looked so fun to make and pretty to look at, so I attempted to make it. You'd never guess it was made out of 3 items:
1. A styrofoam heart form,
2. Felt circles,
3. And pins.
It is so easy to make, Jaimason made a good portion of it! Of course, my camera wasn't taking a good detailed picture, but here is the picture of what it is supposed to look like (from the other website). As you can see, I have a black door, and the red looks so striking against it. I am happy with the way it turned out, and it's so fun to add one more decoration to our slowly-growing collection.

The next thing I made was a topiary. I didn't get this idea from anywhere really; I have just wanted to make a topiary for a while. My mom made a really pretty one years ago from some dried flowers, and I've loved the way it looks, so I wanted to make my own. I thought a nice red one for Valentines day would be perfect. It was really easy to make as well, and Jaimason had fun painting the pot and stick. He even helped poke the roses I found on clearance into the styrofoam ball. In 30 minutes (including drying time), it was done and on our mantle! (It's about time for a new family picture, don't ya think?)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

2 comments:

Erin Gibbons said...

So pretty! I can't wait to be able to start making more decorations, (someday!) and I think I'll refer back to your blog because these are beautiful! I love topiaries like that and it looks great on your mantle!

Amy said...

Ok crafty lady... DARLING! So cute and festive!