Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I've Lost my Wisdom...

...teeth, that is!

Last Thursday, after
over 6 years of waiting, I had my wisdom teeth removed. Man, it was long time coming, but those suckers were really starting to give me a pain (and by "starting," I mean about 5 years of misery), so I decided to have them removed.

If you ask me now, I say
BAD IDEA. Let's just say things didn't go as planned. But I'm sure it will be better for me in the long run (I'm supposed to say that, right?)

Today is the first day I feel halfway human, so I'm choosing to SIT in front of the computer and blog about it instead of SIT on the couch and think about it.

I came out of surgery feeling as all people who come out of oral surgery do...fat, mute, dry-mouthed, and frustrated. I went home and slept the better part of the day. When I awoke in the afternoon, though, I was feeling great! I was making phone calls, scheduling meetings, talking, and even eating. I thought,

"Man, this is going exactly as planned. This is a breeze! I'll be up and running tomorrow."

I forgot to knock on wood, and I definitely spoke too soon!

Next day rolls around and I feel worse than the previous day. Worse, but not horrible. I figured, "things always hurt the second day and then get better from there, right?"

WRONG!

Saturday, I woke up in excruciating pain. I thought I had an ear infection, my front teeth were killing me, and my head felt like it was going to explode from the pressure. So I did what all normal people do: I drugged myself up with pain meds. After 20 minutes, the pain started to subside, but man, was I Dizzy with a capital D! And forget about eating...if I did, I felt like it would all come back up.

So, here I am, laying on the couch, feeling dizzy, nauseous, headachy, and miserable, cursing Ben and wondering why I ever let him talk me into this mess.

And it continues....

Sunday (Valentine's Day). Wake up at 4:00 am and don't go back to sleep. Good news is I am awake before Ben has to go to early morning meetings, so I am able to make a lovey-dovey breakfast of Egg McMuffins painted with hearts, and heart-shaped cantaloupe for him before he leaves. Effort wears me out, so I stay home from church and sleep all day while Jaimason jumps on me and begs me to wake up and play.

Monday. Can't stand the pain any more, so I call the Doc. He thinks I have a dry socket, so instructs me to come in to the office so he can check it out. (For those of you who don't know, a dry socket is where you lose the blood clot that forms to help you heal, and your bone is often exposed, causing excruciating pain with pain radiating up to the ear and along the front jaw, making your other teeth hurt...sound familiar?) I go in. I don't have one. Doc is confused, but shoots me with some other medication to relieve the pain. Doesn't help; makes it worse. Oh well. What can you expect?

Now here it is
Tuesday, and (dare I say it?) I am feeling a little better, but definitely not GOOD.

KNOCK ON WOOD.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, because I know you're dying to know. As for now, I better go back to the couch. Ben jokes that there's going to be a permanent impression of my body on it. Wouldn't that be the bees-knees?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man, no fun! I had my wisdom teeth out the week of Christmas. (nice timing, huh?) But they knocked me out for it... and honestly, it was fabulous. So here is hoping that you're on the mend! :)

Erin Gibbons said...

Oh my gosh, I feel so bad for you! I can't imagine how miserable you must feel! Just keep telling yourself it's only temporary, and sometime soon you'll be feeling great! (I put the beach or at least a sunny day into that mental image, myself.) I'll keep your diaper bag order in mind...now that I know what to do better! Take care!