Sunday, November 1, 2009

Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting!

This year, after many many many (many many) changes of his mind, Jaimason finally settled on being Kung Fu Panda for Halloween. This was on Tuesday, mind you! (And we had a party on Thursday so it had to be ready by then!) Since I make all of his costumes, I got right to work drafting the costume. After a few hours, a total failure on my first attempt, some felt and some batting, this is the final product. Yes, not the best costume he's ever had, but ok considering I made it in 2 days. And it's the thought that counts, right? (He won most creative costume at the Ward Halloween party in spite of it all).


He had a lot of fun with this costume! Since I stuffed the belly, he loved to put it on and belly bump any unsuspecting person he could. And of course, it completely turned him into a Kung Fu master when he donned it. Here are some of his best moves:























The cutest part was when he tried to make a Po face.

And check out the tail on THAT panda!
The perfect accessory to his costume was this Kung Fu Panda stick that he got at the Dollar Tree a few months ago.
Halloween was a busy day for us. We made treats for all our neighbors, delivered them, whipped up some cornbread for the Ward Halloween party, and then we hurried to put on Jaimason's costume and makeup before rushing out the door to the Ward function. Applying the makeup turned out to be a disaster because for some reason, every year on Halloween, we're all in a grumpy mood and someone cries. Well, this year, it was Jaimason's turn, and with his tears, all the makeup washed off, so we had to reapply in a hurry after he got himself under control. Thankfully, we made it just in time to score some candy from the Trunk-or-Treat and say hi to all our friends. Then, it was off to see some of our other friends who had invited us to have dinner and go trick-or-treating with them.This is Jaimason with his good friend, Wolverine (a.k.a Jack). When you can't see the ears, he just looks like Death with a white head. Oh well!

The funniest part of the night was when we took Jaimason's makeup off at the end of the night. The black right around the rim of his eyes stayed put, and so he looked like a Drag Queen instead. This was the first year I have not worn a costume and it was a little sad for me. But there was just simply not enough time to throw something together when I was so busy stressing about Jaimason's costume. And it's probably for the better anyway...at least Ben didn't have to be embarrassed this year.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

5 comments:

Nate and Liss said...

LOVE the costume!!! You did such a great job. Hope I can be that awesome someday. Nate gets hyper everytime he watches that movie, pulls out all the kung fu moves. Just so you know, I really miss you guys!

Erin Gibbons said...

Great costume! I was totally thinking about how great his orange pterodactyl costume was the other day, (as I was sewing Calvin's costume.) We're always grumpy on Halloween too, too much stress! But it's fun anyway.

Sara said...

Ok, so you're pretty much one of the most creative people I know! You are so talented! I think the costume looks great! Sounds like you had a great Halloween.

carolee said...

Good work on the costume! He looks great!

mandamike said...

That was an awesome costume! I wish I was creative and crafty like you :) I guess that's why I married, Mike :)