Saturday, June 28, 2008

We'll Miss You, Grandma!


About a week ago, Shaunelle's Grandma UlaRae passed away. It was sad to see her go -- we'll miss her lots--but we're so happy she's not in pain anymore. She gets to see her kids who have passed on before her and she can move freely now, so we're sure she's "doing the happy dance."

She was such a beautiful, yet fiesty and opinionated mother of 10 who had so many talents. She was a wonderful cook, a lovely singer, a super sewer, and a great dancer! She liked fireworks and she loved to drive fast. She was giving and hard-working and frugal. She had the most gorgeous smile and the softest, most wrinkle-free skin. She insisted on hugs and kisses every time I saw her, and every time she left. The things I remember most about her are her love of chocolate and pretty things (some would call it an addiction) and her hatred of cameras --hence, no pictures of her. We would always plot as a family ways to capture her on film. Sometimes it worked, most times it did not. She seemed to have a 6th sense about these things. At Easter time, she would bring those See's Chocolate Easter Eggs to family events. She never had a shortage of chocolate in her house, either. I loved going to visit because I learned all of her secret hiding spots. And even if I didn't, she was good about sharing. Going to her funeral was fun, because I got to listen to lots of funny stories about her that I never knew. (Pictured:Grandpa with 7 children and spouses)

Her coffin was pink. She picked it out herself. It made me smile, because it was so like my Grandma to have a pink coffin. All things light rose pink remind me of her. In fact, she even had pink carpet in her house. Her flowers were roses, which was to be expected. She was known to tend over 100 rose bushes at her home in Oregon.

The pallbearers



The Granddaughters


Shaunelle's brothers: Qile, Jantsen, Ryken, Darek


Qile putting boutonierre on coffin

It's times like these that make me so grateful for our Savior and the Plan of Salvation, so that I will one day be able to see my grandmother again and smell her sweet skin and give her a big hug. But until then, I Love You, Grandma! I will miss you!

2 comments:

Tami Farrer said...

Sorry for you lost. Hope you are doing ok and if there is anything you need let me know.

carolee said...

So that's why you were in Oregon. I hear you're out of town again too. I saw your family photos posted on Laura's photography blog. Very cute! Jamison is quite the model!