So a few weeks ago, we posted a horrible story about a mother spider and her babies whose life ended tragically in our hallway. Today, I have another story to tell you about a mother spider and her babies whose life (nearly) ended tragically in our garage!
Now, last time we told you about a "huge" spider...I am telling you, if that was huge, this one was larger than life!! I just stared at the thing for about 10 minutes saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh" over and over again. It was not comprehensible to me that a creature THAT BIG could exist.
So, being a picture-taking freak, I HAD to grab the camera and document this momentous event...no way was anyone going to believe me about the enormity of this thing if I did not have photographic proof! I ran inside the house and grabbed the camera (earlier plans of a library expedition forgotten), then came darting outside to take a picture. I snapped one and looked at it. It did NOTHING to show the size of the beast. So what would any perfectly weird girl do in a situation like this? Catch it, of course! At least this way I could show Ben and he could back me up when we described this monster at the next dinner party.
I poked it with a (very long) stick to prod him out of the corner of the garage. Turns out, HE is a SHE and she has babies who dart every which way when I poke her. Right then, visions of an earlier massacre clouded my vision and I was taken back to the better days of finding just extremely large mother spiders with baby hitchhikers as opposed to MASSIVE ones. As I stomp on the babies, my determination to catch this thing grows stronger! I MUST view it under the magnifying glass of Jaimason's bug catcher to look at the mini-monsters riding on the back.
Many minutes, and much profuse sweating later, I emerge from the garage victorious with the "Mother of All Spiders" (haha) caught in the bug-catcher. This is her:Again, let me remind you that these pictures do NOTHING to show the size of this She-Monster.
After gawking at her for several hours, I took her outside and chucked her into the golf-course as far as I could. Killing her with a shoe would have been nearly impossible and FAR TOO MESSY. Even from a distance, I saw her hit the ground and her children go flying in all directions. She was nearly dead when I let her go. Turns out, when some spiders give birth, they die. Who knew?
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Deja Vu!
Posted by
Trenholms
at
8:43 PM
Labels: creepy-crawlies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Oh Shaunelle, I truly have the creeps. I cannot even look at the pictures you posted without feeling like things are crawling on me! :) You caught it? Amazing! I would have screamed and cried and then called Preston to tell him we are moving! Haha! You're Awesome!
OH MY GOSH!! That is DISGUSTING. It's like a "pet" you would buy at the pet store- not something you would find in your garage! As you know Tyson is looking for jobs in TX. I think I'm going to have to reconsider! That totally grosses me out!!
Okay, so this post was way less cute than the last one! I'm telling you----that spider is way better than a snake. The babies riding on it's back thing gives me the heebie jeebies, though. Was that a sarcastic comment about the spiders dying after they lay their eggs? You did read Charlotte's Web, right? I hope Charlotte found a nice home on the golf course----I just hope her children don't migrate down the street to our house! Good job brave girl!
Okay, so this post was way less cute than the last one! I'm telling you----that spider is way better than a snake. The babies riding on it's back thing gives me the heebie jeebies, though. Was that a sarcastic comment about the spiders dying after they lay their eggs? You did read Charlotte's Web, right? I hope Charlotte found a nice home on the golf course----I just hope her children don't migrate down the street to our house! Good job brave girl!
That is the nastiest thing I've seen! My kids think the pictures are awesome though.
Oh I get the CREEPS just looking at it on the computer! Oh man I can't believe you were brave enough to get near it and catch it! :)
That's gross!!
eww. that soooooo nasty. just for that i dont think that we will ever go to texas!!! ah my that gives me chills to think about how big that is!!!!
AAAHHH!!! I would have totally freaked out. That is DISGUSTING! I hate spiders. Just looking at this spider is making me have chills. You are a braver woman then I Shaunelle :)
Post a Comment